Do you want to have clear, glowing skin on your wedding day? Of course, you do! And we wanted to share with you our 4 favourite ways to achieve an NVous glow from the inside out.
At NV Bridal Société, our team of experts believe that healthy skin comes not only from managing the outer surface, but we recognize the importance of nourishing our body with skin-loving nutrients to feel and look our absolute best.
As a Holistic Nutritionist, I really wanted to take a holistic approach to this blog, incorporating all aspects of lifestyle, inner health and outer aesthetic techniques that can be used to achieve the most radiant glow.
Tip #1: Foods for glowing skin.
While there are definitely a few amazing foods to promote glowing skin, the importance of proper blood sugar management and gut health are essential to creating an environment for optimal skin health. The skin is the largest organ of the body and is a direct reflection of our inner health. This is especially noticeable with conditions like acne, eczema and psoriasis, which are greatly affected by our gut health, immune health and hormonal balance in the body. The best way to promote overall gut, immune and hormonal health starts with, you guessed it, your diet!
With that being said, I wanted to share some of the best foods for supporting these aspects of our body to promote glowing skin, from the inside out!
1) Healthy essential fats (omega 3’s): Omega 3’s are nature’s most potent anti-inflammatory agents. Generally, omega-6 fatty acids (e.g. arachidonic acid) promote inflammation whereas omega-3 fatty acids (EPA acid and DHA) have anti-inflammatory properties. This is important because skin conditions like acne are inflammatory in nature. We must reduce inflammation with adequate omega 3
Omega 3’s are considered essential fats because the body can not make them on its own, therefore they are essential to be obtained through diet. Additionally, eating more omega 3 rich foods have shown to protect your skin from susceptibility to sunburn, contribute to the moisture and natural glow of the skin, decrease wrinkles and help to repair damaged skin.
Foods rich in omega 3’s: fatty fish like salmon, sardines and mackerel, flax seeds and flax oil, raw nuts, avocado and olive oil. Note: oils should always be cold pressed to avoid denaturing and oxidizing the healthy, anti-inflammatory properties of the fatty acid chains. Keeping oils and nuts in the fridge also helps to preserve their quality.
2) Protein: it is essential to get enough protein in the diet when looking to improve the health of your skin. Protein is one of the main building blocks of keratin in the skin that prevents it from sagging and increases healing.
Protein recommendations: Always choose- Pasture-raised, free of hormones and antibiotics, free run/free range, wild caught.
3) High fibre: Fibre helps to slow the release of glucose into the bloodstream, lessening the impact of insulin and inflammation. Fibre also helps to bind excess hormones and toxins and removes them through the bowels.
High fibre foods include berries, especially raspberries, chia seeds, flax seeds, avocado, broccoli, beans, legumes, lentils, peas and Brussel sprouts. Include a minimum of 40g of fibre daily.
4) Vitamin C rich foods: Vitamin C is critical for maintaining the structural integrity, collagen production and glow of our skin.
Foods high in vitamin C include bell peppers, berries, citrus fruits, leafy greens and broccoli.
As the NV Bridal Société Nutritionist, I have created meal plans for brides-to-be that incorporate these amazing skin-loving-foods in recipes that will make your mouth water and help you achieve the healthiest looking skin!
The next step to amazing skin is being super conscious of what products you are putting on your body. This brings me to number two.
Tip #2: Use natural, clean skin care products, ONLY!
Detoxing personal care and cleaning products is so important for not only
FACT: 60% of what you put on your skin is absorbed into your bloodstream! This becomes highly problematic when the skin and beauty products you are using contain endocrine disrupting (hormone-disrupting) chemicals.
Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals are:
• Substances that interfere with synthesis, secretion, transport, binding action, or elimination of natural hormones in the body. • Hormones are important regulators responsible for the maintenance of the body’s homeostasis including optimal metabolism and elimination, reproduction, development of brain and nerve function. Endocrine disruptors, therefore, interfere with these normal processes.
• These artificial chemicals are often STRONGER than the natural hormones they mimic.
Choose skin care products that are free from these endocrine disruptors: parabens,
Tip#3: Do not underestimate the power of lifestyle techniques such as sleep, stress reduction and personal hygiene.
Certain bacteria living on the skin such as Propionibacterium Acnes, can invade the poor on the skin, proliferate and create inflammation around the follicle and then develop into a white head. Proper hygiene and supporting your internal microbiome/bacteria should help to control this. It is important to note that excess washing can dry out the skin, leading to further disruption of our microbiome and worsens acne and skin health. Find a cleanser that is free from the above endocrine disrupting ingredients and wash your face only once in the evening
Secondly, you’re going to want to reduce stress as much as possible. We get it, you are a driven, busy bride with a million things to cross off your to-do list before your big day, but we are here to give you a friendly reminder, STRESS LESS! Why is lowering stress so important for skin health?
1) Stress causes an increase in our stress hormone CORTISOL. One major role of cortisol is to increase blood sugar. Chronically elevated blood sugar/blood sugar imbalances is a root cause of acne. Furthermore, when we are constantly stressed, the adrenals are in frequent demand to produce stress hormones, causing them to become overwhelmed and exhausted. Fatigued adrenals lead to sugar and salt cravings, which ultimately disrupt blood sugar balance.
2) High levels of stress negatively affect the good bacteria in the body by weakening the immune system and increasing the likelihood of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth and candida. Both of these worsen acne and the appearance of our skin.
4) Stress interferes with restful sleep needed to regenerate, repair and improve the health of our skin.
Lastly, I wanted to share some of the amazing services NV Bridal Société offers to promote glowing skin.
Tip#4: Utilize our expert aesthetician.
NV Bridal Société offers luxury spa treatments through our amazing mobile aesthetician, Emily.
Aestheticians help to create perfectly glowing skin with facial treatments and face massages which help to boost detoxification, unclog pores, reduce under-eye circles, improve cell regeneration and promote collagen development to achieve younger looking skin. Facial massage also promotes oxygenation throughout the body which allows nutrients that are carried in the blood to travel to the skin more efficiently.
Expert advice from NV Bridal Société: When booking Spa services for your wedding day, we suggest you book 3-6 months in advance and the services will be provided on the week of the wedding. When booking Spa services for events leading up to your wedding, they are to be booked a minimum of 1 month in advance.
We hope you love these tips are will implement them prior to your wedding day. To start designing your
Xoxo Marissa – Bridal Société